After School Program (ASP)
Mother's Day Activity
Ms. Jacqueline Idun, After School Specialist
21st Century Summer Learning Academy
Monday, July 9 – Friday, July 27, 2018
7:30 am – 12:30 pm
2018 21st Century Learning Academy Theme is:
“Your Future is So Bright”
- Emphasis will be placed on English/Reading and Math Skills.
- A STEM component will be offered.
- A period will be set aside for Physical Activity.
- Transportation, breakfast & lunch will be provided Free of Charge.
Who is eligible to attend the 21st Century Learning Summer Academy?
Rising 7th, 8th and 9th grade students are eligible. This opportunity is opened to our feeder schools and will be available for up to 120 elementary school students on a first come first served basis
VIP Summer Camp 2018 Information and Application
V.I.P. Summer Camp @ Twain V.I.P (also including Hayfield SS, Key MS, Sandburg MS and Whitman MS)
Dear Parent(s)/Guardian(s), Once again, Fairfax County Public Schools and Fairfax County Department of Neighborhood and Community Services (NCS) will be partnering to offer the VIP Summer Camp! This year the camp will take place July 2- August 2 at Mark Twain Middle, 8am-4pm. Please take a moment to read the camp details below. If you have questions and/or concerns please contact your middle school After-School Program Specialist. If your son/daughter is a rising seventh grader and you have question(s) and/or concern(s), please contact the After-School Program Specialist at the middle school your son/daughter will be attending in the 2018-19 school year.
Who is eligible to attend the VIP Camp? Children who are residents of Fairfax County or Fairfax City, and are between 7th grade (entering Fall of 2018) and 8th grade (entering Fall of 2018), are eligible to participate. This program is designed for middle school age youth. Students will be placed on a waitlist once the program meets its 150 student maximum capacity.
VIP Camp Supply Fee: There is a $50 VIP Camp Supply Fee that will be collected from all camp participants. Participants who submit the VIP Camp Registration Form will be notified if they have been accepted into camp or placed on a Wait List. Accepted participants will receive a confirmation letter/email indicating a due date for their VIP Camp Supply Fee along with further camp instructions. Payment will be due on the date listed in the confirmation letter. If payment is not received by that date, participants will forfeit their place in camp and will be replaced by a participant from the Wait List in the order in which they are on the list, pending the payment of the camp fee. Please contact the After-School Program Specialist at your child’s school or the Teen Center Director with payment concerns.
Cash Refund Policy: To request a refund of the Camp Supply Fee that was paid in cash, contact the After-School Program Specialist at the VIP Camp Site prior to the cutoff date of Friday, June 22, 2018. Refund requests submitted after the cutoff date will not be considered. Refunds will be in the form of a check. Please allow 3-4 weeks for processing.
Field Trips: Any fee associated with a field trip is to be paid in cash and will be collected from students on the day of the field trip. A parent/guardian signed Field Trip Permission Form is required the week before the trip.
Breakfast/Lunch: Students are strongly encouraged to bring enough healthy food to last them throughout the day. Daily snacks will be provided at no cost.
Inclusion: Fairfax County and Fairfax County Public Schools are committed to inclusion. If you have questions, please call your local school After-School Program Specialist.
Transportation: Bus transportation to and from the VIP Summer Camp will be provided for students from select elementary schools and select community locations. Bus stops will be generated after students have been selected for the camp.
Students are expected to: • Sign in and out on the daily attendance form, parent(s)/guardian(s) will be called when a student is released to anyone other than a parent(s)/guardian(s). • Stay with their assigned group. • Show respect for others in what you do and say. • Attend the VIP Camp regularly. • Be involved in as many activities each day as possible and encourage others as well. • Listen to the VIP Summer Camp staff and follow directions carefully. • Maintain self-control at all times. • Monitor and secure personal belongings. Weapons of any type are not allowed. All electronic devices should be left at home (i.e. iPods, cell phones), the VIP Camp staff is not responsible for the loss of any electronic devices. • Use equipment and supplies appropriately without destruction. • Follow all of the rules and regulations that are outlined in the FCPS Students Rights and Responsibilities.
Contact information for the VIP Summer Camp 2018 and After School Programs during the school year:
After-School Program Specialists -
- Hayfield SS - Adam Fitzgerald - firstname.lastname@example.org - (703)-924-7609
- Key MS - Kanishea Spencer - email@example.com - (703) 313-3900
- Sandburg MS - Jamaal Carter - JLCarter3@fcps.edu - (703)-799-6100
- Twain MS - Dominic Amato - firstname.lastname@example.org - (703)313-3815
- Whitman MS - Jacqueline Idun - email@example.com - (703)660-2432
- S. County Teen Ctr. - Crystal Woodley - Crystal.Woodley@fairfaxcounty.gov (703)-704-6224
- Develop an engaged community of students who feel empowered to meet their potential and pursue their interests.
- Provide diverse programming which allows for academic, social, mental, and physical development of every student.
- Late bus transportation is provided on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. Buses depart Whitman Middle School around 4:45 p.m.
- Late bus transportation on Mondays and Fridays with limited stops!
THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAM SCHEDULE
Daily Parent Pick-Up in the Main Office
- Video Game Room
- Open 8th Grade Gym
- Girls Basketball
- 7th Grade Gym
- Soccer Club
- WILDCAT MATH Academy - B19 - Mr. G.Brown
- WILDCAT READING/WRITING Academy 8TH Grade - F12 - Ms. Ransome
- WILDCAT READING/WRITING Academy 7th Grade - B5 - Ms. Schneider
- Drama Club - Spring Semester Only
- Step Team - Lecture Hall
- MVP Men of Vision & Purpose - B-14
- Tech Club - D11 - A & B BLOCK
- BOOK CLUB - Weekly B18 | LIBRARY - MONTHLY
- Good Eats - D4 - The Science of Food - A & B BLOCK
- WILDCAT MATH Academy 8th Grade - F7 - Ms. Woods-Lawrence
- Science Club - F25 - Every other week | Women of Vision & Purpose - Every other week
- Soccer Club | Chess Club - Game Room
- Intramural Sports - 8th Grade Gym
- Weight Lifting | Fitness Training - 8th Grade Gym
- Anime/Animation Club - F38
- WILDCAT MATH Academy - B19 - Mr. G. Brown
- WILDCAT READING/WRITING Academy 8th Grade - F12 - Ms. Ransome
- College and Career Exploration - G11 - (October 12, 2017)
- Intramural Basketball - 8th Grade Gym | Basketball 101 - 7th Grade Gym
- E.I.P - Early Identification Program | NJHS - MONTHLY
- Step Team - Lecture Hall
- Fun with Golf
- Frisbee Club - SPRING 2018
- VIDEO GAME ROOM
- OPEN GYM - 8TH GRADE
- PASSPORT WHITMAN - INTERNATIONAL CLUB (Once a Month)