Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Message from the Principal
Dear Whitman Community,
It is hard to believe that we have reached the end of the 2020-21 school year! We sadly but proudly say “fare well” to our wonderful eighth graders as they head off to high school and say “see you soon” to our seventh graders who we will welcome back in-person, five days per week this fall.
This week we celebrated our 8th graders with our Red Carpet Affair. We so enjoyed getting together even if it was a little hot! We also celebrated and honored hundreds of students at our annual Awards ceremony. In case you missed it, here are the links to the recordings:
7th grade ceremony: https://us.bbcollab.com/recording/730b2fe6935b40f9821cd9d2cb97f531
8th grade ceremony: https://us.bbcollab.com/recording/6bd1212efa734c9faf8a2766f0e82a1b
As we wrap up the rest of the week, I’d like to remind you about our final Whitman Family Market on Wednesday, June 9 from 2:30 – 4:00 PM. Free, fresh produce and groceries are available. Also, here is a quick reminder to families that Friday, June 11 is the last day of school and will end at 12:00 noon.
Laptops and other equipment can be returned beginning any day starting tomorrow, Wednesday, June 9. Make sure your student returns the laptop, case, and power cord. We will be available for laptop drop off on June 9 until 7:00 PM. We will offer other evening drop off opportunities next week. Laptops can always be dropped off by appointment or just stopping by Whitman. Virtual students will be provided with a handout of a Choice Board (menu) of assignments to complete on paper for the rest of the week.
Finally, I wanted to let you know that each student will be receiving several books to read over the summer. Reading is the best way to prevent the “summer slide” and keeps students on track academically.
Thank you for all you do for our students and have a great last week!
Dr. Craig HerringWhitman Family Market Wednesday, June 9th! Imagine Summer Program Mount Vernon Pyramid Art Show
**You must be logged in to your fcpsschools.net Google account**
RICHMOND HIGHWAY SPORTS PHYSICAL EVENT
ATHLETIC PRE-PARTICIPATION PHYSICAL EXAMS
- On Thursday, June 17th, 2021 West Potomac High School will host an opportunity for Mount Vernon and West Potomac student athletes to receive a complete and comprehensive pre-participation physical exam (PPE) at the cost of $50 that will be valid for the entirety of the 2021-22 academic year, until June 30th, 2022
- PPEs will be performed by the respective team physician groups from West Potomac and Mount Vernon High Schools who volunteer their time for our annual event – which was cancelled last year due to COVID-19
- This Sports Physical Event will serve as the primary fundraiser for the West Potomac and Mount Vernon Athletic Training Programs, which receive zero financial assistance to operate in terms of medical supplies and equipment – we thank you for your support and donation which goes a long way towards allowing our student athletes in all sports to stay healthy, playing to their highest potential
- Appointments begin at 6:00 and end at 7:30 – those interested must sign-up here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScRZewAVnQf8WoWHCZiaujn99bAmTyoIcj-AamV_xyuj8if1A/viewform?usp=sf_link – appointments will fill quickly, so please don’t delay!
- The Virginia High School League (VHSL) requires all student athletes to have a completed PPE prior to participating in high school sports. The PPE must be completed by a MD, DO, NP, or PA on the current VHSL form: https://drive.google.com/file/d/11gT7vW7HE3iNyXpOmPOaIXXYZP3QUA97/view. The form must be signed by the medical provider on/after May 1st, 2021 to be valid for the 2021-22 academic year, until June 30th, 2022