Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.Principal's Message
Dear Whitman Community,
We have certainly had a active Winter weather pattern over the past few weeks. I hope everyone is staying healthy, safe, and warm. You can review the procedures for weather closing and delays at this site.
Next week, the Whitman Faculty will be preparing for the return to in-person learning for families and students that have chosen that option. Many teachers will begin instructing from their classrooms starting February 23. Some teachers will remain virtual for the remainder of the school year and they will be sharing that news with students next week if they have not done so already. To welcome our teachers back next week, the PTSA has generously funded box lunches on Tuesday from Panera. Thank you to the PTSA and all the families who donated to fund this! We are so fortunate to have such a supportive community!
On Thursday, February 25 and Friday, February 26, most students will have asynchronous instruction like we have on Mondays. Teachers will post assignments for students to complete. This is to allow for additional planning time for teachers to prepare for concurrent instruction. If you have any questions, reach out to your grade level administrators.
Have a wonderful weekend and thank you for all you do for our students.
Dr. Craig Herring
Greetings from the Whitman Library!
We are excited to present these book recommendations to recognize Black History Month. Our theme is Celebrating the Black Family. We’ve showcased stories from all different genres in our library; included are short teasers of each book, and links to book talks or trailers to give students and parents more information about each one. In other news, we are happy to continue to offer Bookmobile services; the next Bookmobile will run on Monday, February 22. Students can request print books from the library by visiting the Destiny online catalog to submit their requests. For more information and announcements about all-things-library, we invite you all to follow the Wildcat Librarian on Twitter!
Looking forward to providing the best library experience for our Whitman students and families through the rest of the school year.
-Ms. Johnson, Librarian email@example.comCelebrating the Black Family Through Stories & Poems
Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology (TJHSST) Freshman Application Information Night for Walt Whitman Parents Tuesday, February 23, 2021 at 6:00 p.m.
Attention Walt Whitman Middle School Parents
Eager to Learn about Thomas Jefferson High School and apply?
- Is your child in 8th Grade?
- Do they have a Grade Point Average of 3.5 or greater?
- Are they currently enrolled Algebra I or higher mathematics?
- Learn more about applying and find out what it means to join a STEM school! https://www.fcps.edu/tjadmissions
Holistic Review Elements
- Student Portrait Sheet
- Problem-Solving Essay
- Experience Factors
- Economically Disadvantaged
- English Language Learner
- Special Education
- Underrepresented Schools
- February 2021- Application Available Online - 8:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, February 24 - Application Start DEADLINE - 4:00 p.m.
- Friday, February 26 - Application Submission Deadline - 4:00 p.m.
- Monday, March 15 - Student Portrait Sheet and Essay (Virtual Timed Administration) - AM (Exact Time TBD)
WILDCATS AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM
WILDCATS AFTER-SCHOOL PROGRAM
Parents can visit https://whitmanms.fcps.edu/activities/after-school-program for more info
- Whitman Spelling Bee March 4th – Virtual 3:30pm – Students can sign up for practice sessions now to participate in the Spelling Bee – sponsored by the Whitman PTSA
- Spelling Bee Sign Up
- Whitman Theater presents- Whitman Cabaret February 25th AT 6PM. Link to the performances will be sent out prior to the Show
How to Sign up for Clubs
Interested in having your student participate in the After-School Program? Here are a few things you can help your student with to help them getting them signed up for clubs.
- Have them Join the Wildcats After-School Google Classroom - Code: pbdi5n3
- Parents complete the After-School Registration Form (must be completed to participate)
- Students should visit the Wildcats After-School Site for the complete schedule/information
- Students will need to login with their FCPS Gmail to access
- Wildcats After-School site - Schedule / List of Clubs / Club Enrollment Form / Google Classroom for Clubs
After-School Academic Support
- Students can stay after Virtually with a teacher Tuesday-Thursday (2:20pm-3:20pm)
- Students will need to schedule an appointment with the teacher(s) they would like to stay after with for academic support, so that they teacher can invite them to their virtual office.
- Student can access the Academic Support Schedule by visiting the Wildcats After-School Site and clicking the tab for Academic Support.
To view the daily club calendar, click here Daily Schedule (3rd Quarter)
Questions regarding the After-School Program email Chris Tippins,
After-School Specialist WCTippins@fcps.edu
Dear Whitman Families,
Thank you for the outpouring of support for our fundraiser to provide a Welcome Back Grab and Go Lunch from Panera for our teachers. We have met our goal! We will also be providing drinks (soda/water) and a goody bag for each teacher. Any remaining funds will be put toward our Teacher Appreciation Week efforts. Your generosity is greatly appreciated. We know the teachers will feel the love.
Have questions or ideas? Please contact Marie at firstname.lastname@example.org
Your Whitman PTSA Board
Follow Us! https://www.facebook.com/WhitmanPTSAFAMILY MARKET
Join us Wednesday, March 17, 2021 from 2:30 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. for Whitman Middle School’s Family Market! Whitman is partnering with the Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB) to offer these monthly distributions of nutritious groceries to members of our community, free of charge.
When: March 17, 2021 at 2:30 p.m.
Where: This year, Family Markets will be held outside, with drive-up pickup outside of Door 2 on the side of the building. Please drive in on the field-side of the building and drive around the back of the building until you reach Door 2.
What: The CAFB will be providing pre-packed boxes/bags of dry goods and produce. One box of each per household, please.
Help us keep Family Markets safe! Please note that masks are required for market participation, and we ask all participants to maintain social distancing by keeping 6 feet or further away from others.
“Le invitamos el miércoles 17 marzo de 2:30 a 4:00 para el Mercado Familiar de la escuela Whitman! Whitman está colaborando con Capital Area Food Bank (CAFB) para ofrecer estas distribuciones mensuales de alimentos nutritivos a los miembros de nuestra comunidad gratuitamente.
Cuándo: 17 de marzo, 2:30 a 4:00
Dónde: El Mercado Familiar se llevarán a cabo afuera en la acera de Whitman. Puede recogerlo directamente de su vehículo por la Puerta 2 al costado del edificio. Entre por el lado del campo y rodee la parte trasera del edificio hasta llegar a la Puerta 2.
Qué: La CAFB proporcionará cajas/bolsas empaquetadas de productos secos y productos agrícolas. Una caja por hogar por favor.
¡Ayúdenos a mantener seguros los mercados familiares! Tenga en cuenta que se requieren máscaras para la participación en el mercado, y les pedimos a todos los participantes que mantengan el distanciamiento social manteniéndose 6 pies o más lejos de los demás.”
CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE WHITMAN CLOTHING
You will be redirected to My School Bucks website to login and purchase. Items can only be purchased through My School Bucks website. Please allow 48 hours for processing. Items can only be picked up at Whitman MS
(No Shipping) at Door #1 (Main Entrance).
*Dry-Fit Shirts are a limited supply
Questions email Beverly Gowins at BRGowins@fcps.edu
Parent Digital Consent
Dear Parents, We Need Your Consent!
We need your consent for some important digital resources your child may access for classwork on their laptop. Please fill out a short consent form; we appreciate your help.